Christmas is truly a magical time of year! All the decorations are special ingredients when it comes to Christmas magic. Creating your perfect, magical Christmas scene, decorating your tree and your home – those are just some of the most exciting and interesting things when it comes to Christmas. But what most people really don’t like is the moment that comes next – storing Christmas decorations. Especially if you have just moved, and you are simply tired of all the packing and unpacking. And that is why we created this simple guide with tips and tricks that will help you to store Christmas decorations in time!
Category: Storage Tips, Checklist, Guides, Hacks and Tricks
Tips for keeping rodents out of storage units
Nobody wants to enter their storage unit and find out that their belongings were ruined by unwanted guests. Unfortunately, storage units that are full of cardboard, paper, and upholstery are a great home for rodents, insects, and other pests. this is why it’s important to learn what’s necessary for keeping rodents out of storage units. Since this is such an important matter, we’ve written a guide that will help you keep your storage facility pest-free! Read on if you want to learn more about this topic!
Choosing the right storage unit
No matter how good one storage unit might be, these facilities are prone to mice and pests infestations. Therefore, even though you rent a storage unit from one of the best moving companies NJ, it’s necessary to take care of the unit you’re renting. However, this doesn’t mean you should rent the first storage unit you stumble upon. Quite the opposite! Finding the right storage unit is something that needs to be taken seriously. Keep in mind that it’s almost impossible to get rid of pests from a storage unit that’s been poorly taken care of by management. So, how to choose the right storage unit?
The most important thing you’ll want to do before renting one unit is to inspect it. And inspect it thoroughly! Make sure that the unit isn’t damaged and that there are no holes in its walls. Even if there are some small damages, don’t rent it! Your belongings could get ruined in numerous ways if you decide to store them in a unit that’s damaged.
Another thing you should take into consideration when renting a unit is whether there’s pest control. Regular pest control increases your chances of having a rodent-free storage unit! Keep in mind that storage units that have regular pest control might be a little pricer, but hey, it’s a worthwhile investment!
Prepare items for storing to keep rodents away
So, you have found a storage unit that suits all your needs. What now? As we have already told you, renting storage facilities NJ of the finest quality isn’t enough for keeping rodents away from your belongings. You will also have to prepare your belongings for storing. Here are some of the packing tips that you’ll want to follow when prepping your belongings for storage.
- Make sure to clean your items before storing them. This is one of the most important rules! Storing dirty clothes, shoes, or other belongings can attract rodents.
- Since you’ll be washing your clothes before placing them in storage, make sure everything is dry! Storing wet clothes is one of the main reasons why people have to later deal with mold and mildew. And trust us, getting rid of mold and mildew is even harder from getting rid of rodents!
- Facilities with lots of cardboard attract different kinds of rodents. This is why you should think about using plastic bins with airtight lids. There are many benefits of using plastic bins and only one of them is for storing items. These containers will keep safe everything you store. Therefore, choose your containers wisely!
- Find out whether your insurance policy covers pest damage. It’s a good idea to insure your belongings in case the worst happens and your items get damaged because of the crawling and nibbling population. There is no doubt that this is one of the best storage tips NJ!
Know the most important rules for keeping rodents out of storage units
Even though the tips that we’ve listed above are very useful when it comes to keeping rodents out of storage units, there’s more you can do in order to keep you storage rodent-free. Whether you decide to rent a residential or business storage NJ, it’s of the utmost importance to follow all of our tips. Only this way you’ll know that your items will be safe inside your storage facility. Therefore, make sure to remember these three golden rules in order to store successfully:
- Wrap all of your furniture in plastic. In case rodents somehow get inside your storage, the wrapping materials will keep your furniture safe and secure.
- Don’t store food. Storing food is something you should avoid doing at any cost! Your food can spoil and ruin your other belongings and attract unwanted guests.
- Keep your moving boxes raised a couple of inches off the ground. Doing this will protect your belongings both from rodents and moisture! You can place your boxes on top of wooden pallets, for example.
Have regular checkups of the storage unit
Most people forget to stop by their storage units from time to time. However, this is something you should do at least once a month. Regular checkups will help you spot potential problems and will help you solve them on time. Therefore, check your storage facilities as often as you can! If you’re sharing storage with friends, doing this will be much easier since you can do this together.
How to fight against pests infestations?
Unfortunately, pests infestation can happen to you even if you get the best storage unit or follow some of the best tips for keeping rodents out of storage units. This is something that can happen to anyone! However, if it happens to you, you’ll want to be ready to fight against pests infestation! For example, you can make natural repellent and keep it inside your storage unit. In case you spot an unwanted guest, spray the area immediately! And in case this doesn’t work, there’s always an option of calling in an expert to solve your problem.
As you can see, there are lots of different ways of keeping rodents out of storage units. It’s necessary to learn all of them in order to store your belongings in the safest possible manner. Luckily, by following our guide, you’ll know how to keep rodents away and how to fight against them. So worry not, we’ve got your back!
Tips for preventing mold in your storage
The fact is that people take storage units and the safety of their items in those same units for granted. Just because you stored your memorabilia or antiques in perfect condition doesn’t mean that that’s the condition you’ll find them in six months from now. Lots of things can happen between the moment you store your items and the moment you take them out of storage – and mold is one of them! When it comes to the safety of your items, preventing mold in your storage should be high up on your priority list. No, the process is not difficult nor time-consuming, and it all starts with choosing the right type of private storage. Continue reading “Tips for preventing mold in your storage”